Prayer matters

(Click here for a video of John reading this Catch.)

download

If you’re anything like me, you’re having a hard time focusing on anything other than the war in eastern Europe these days. It’s even harder when the first picture you see in the morning is that of three members of a Ukrainian family who met with a mortar shelling while trying to flee their town and the only thing left standing is their suitcase.

True, there have been atrocities and wars all over the globe, but this one hits us particularly close to home because these people’s lives are most like our own. They live in a westernized culture. They go to school; they work hard; they run their own businesses; they entertain themselves with music, art, and sports; they worship; they raise families, drive their kids to soccer practice, and dream big dreams. We’re watching nice neighborhoods like our own hit by missiles and mortar shells. What? Why?

Hard to say, but it all seems to land in the lap of one man who has another way of processing “Thou shalt not kill” other than obeying it. Where is this all going? We don’t know, but the possibilities are not good for the Ukrainian people, the Russian people or the world.

What can we do? We feel helpless. But we can do something. I’ve said it before here and I will say it again only because I’m not sure we believe it. We can pray.

Really? Sometimes prayer seems like the last resort. Especially when you’re talking about forces like the ones at work in this crisis. What can my little prayer do to stop world events such as these? Well according to Jesus, it could do anything and everything. It’s a factor of your faith. With enough faith, you can tell a mountain to throw itself into the sea.

So … Pray for peace. Pray for an end to hostilities. Pray that the aggressor will be thwarted. Pray for a cease fire. Pray for a miracle — a change of heart. Pray for the Russian people to find out the truth about what is going on and to rise up against their leader. Pray for the armies of the Lord. Pray against the evil one. Pray for believers everywhere. Pray for God to be glorified. Pray for the angels of light to prevail against the darkness. And most importantly, when you pray, believe it! We are not just wishing here. We have a hotline to the Father God.

Come on people. I’m serious. We can bring this thing to a close. Let’s come together as one voice and pray for a quick end to this crisis that will save many lives.

This entry was posted in prayer, war and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Prayer matters

1. Toni Petrella says:

Each day I pray for the Lord to watch over the situation in the Ukraine, for the folks in the Ukraine, and for peace. I hope millions around the world are doing the same. I watch each day some of the headlines but, cannot watch too much as I get stressed, i feel my chest tighten and I have had problems with a rapid pulse in the past and taking medication for that which I take every morning and my blood pressure goes way up. My doctor recommended not watching too much at a time. I watch some daily but, not too much and then pray. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

Ephesians 6 reveals something amazing. People often talk about the full armor of God with the breastplate of righteousness and the shield of faith and so on, but what is the point of all that? Watch what happens when you edit out the details of the armor.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then and pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me,

After putting on the armor Paul mention praying 4 times in the next 3 sentences and does not even suggest anything else! Prayer IS the battlefield where we fight non-flesh and blood enemies. Those are the ONLY enemies we truly have. You said the word pray 12 times in one paragraph. That is exactly what Paul was talking about. Prayer is the first resort not the last.

3. peter leenheer says:

We had some under thirty guys move in across the street about seven years ago. At first there was a lot of drinking, drugs and young ladies overnighting. It got so unsavory that in a two year span the police were there four times. In my neighborhood that is way too often. The weekends were always noisy. They got low paying jobs and the electricity was cut off because the bills were not paid It got worse and worse.

One day, I stood in front of my picture window and just complained for the umpteenth time about those guys. Then a thought shot through my mind, “Pray for them”. So I began to pray for them. A neighbor and I also started to talk to them positively to try and get to know them. No judgmentalism or criticism about their behavior. WE gained their respect and they began to behave. They still drank but took it inside when it got too much. They improved the quality of their friends and purged the non paying tenants out of the house.

You get the picture. Today there are five guys living in the house. They all have gotten better paying jobs, and, have some ambition to make something out of their lives. The neighbor and I keep encouraging them, and praying for them. It is amazing how much encouragement they need. One of them has one mother, and three brothers from different fathers, another’s family lives along the Great Lakes’ 1500 miles away and only has his Mom left in his life.. Others thought they would come to Edmonton, Alberta and make a bundle in the oil patch. That does not work well usually for unskilled and drop out guys. It is even harder when the boom in the patch goes bust.

Have you ever noticed that if you pray for people ‘coincidences’ begin to happen, but when you stop praying so do the coincidences. They know we attend church but I am a seed planter and not a harvester. So I am being open and honest with them, and treat them like men. Just recently that started helping us back, they see i am older and somewhat decrepit and they have compassion on me and my wife. It is amazing what prayer will do, and they don’t even have to know that God is in their lives undercover.

I have been in a prayer group in my church for the last 15 years. We do not just ask God for only what we need. We also ask God what he wants us to pray for. When we meet we spend time talking about the things in our lives that we praise God for, we also have a time of prayer of just praising God for who he is AWESOME, we also praise him in song and last we spend time petitioning the various requests we have. It is a worship/prayer service.

After all if we only ask God for what we want, our view of Him needs some work. Friends that only ask for money, we usually look out for and avoid like the plague.. It helps to compliment and praise God. It makes Him happy, and it is uplifting for those praising.

Does prayer matter? in Revelation read about the prayers of the people int the bowls of prayer that God dumps back on the earth,

4. peter leenheer says:

Correction: I thought I proof read what I wrote, but I didn’t. Hope this new paragraph clarifies.

Does prayer matter? In the book of Revelation we read about the prayers of the people mixed with God’s incense (Revelation 5:8; 8:3-5) . Read the passage and notice how the prayers of God’s people create havoc in a good way on a sinful world. As you can imagine our prayers are very upsetting to all that Satan rules and can be equivocated from Satan’s point of view as disasters.

Pastor John again I could be wrong have been before, yet let me please give you a suggestion to consider putting down the Newspaper or turning off the TV News as you wrote “… first picture you see in the morning..” Yet consider picking up your Bible and let God give you the 1st picture you see…

Love this truth! “Mostly pray knowing you are making a difference. When you pray, God listens. When you pray, angels rally. “

Several days ago, the Lord led me to this verse. Every day since then, I have been praying the spirit of it over the Ukrainian people.
    PROVERBS 23:10,11
    “Don’t steal the land of defenseless orphans by moving the ancient boundary markers, for their Redeemer is strong. He himself will bring their charges against you.”

7. Andy Parker says:

As tough as the end times sound, Gog and Megog, do not sound like a pie throwing contests. Who knows, just that we are told to pray without ceasing so let us try that and watch carefully as the bridesmaids did.