Children of the day

In 1 Thessalonians, the coming of the Lord is likened to a thief coming in the night. “When people are saying, ‘Everything is peaceful and secure,’ then disaster will fall on them as suddenly as a pregnant woman’s labor pains begin. And there will be no escape” (1 Thessalonians 5:3). This story of the coming of the Lord being an unexpected interruption of our peaceful lives has been used for years by evangelicals as a means of scaring people into the kingdom. When I was a kid, there was even a movie circulating all the churches called “A Thief in the Night.” Ask anyone old enough to have remembered that movie and they will tell you it scared them out of their wits.

But, as my brother, David, pointed out last night on our BlogTalkRadio show where we discussed his latest book, The Future Great Planet Earth, Christ’s return will be different for those who believe in Christ and await His coming. The very next verse says, “But you aren’t in the dark about these things, dear brothers and sisters, and you won’t be surprised when the day of the Lord comes like a thief. For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don’t belong to darkness and night” (5:4-5).

So for those in Christ, His return will not be like a thief in the night for two reasons. 1) We will already be expecting His return so it will be no surprise, and 2) we are not in the darkness. For us, there is no night for the thief to come in, because we are “all children of the light and of the day; we don’t belong to darkness and night.”

That means no fear. Eyes wide open. We are not in the dark, we are in the light. For us, the coming of the Lord will be the best news ever. Not as a thief, but as a welcomed return in the same way the disciples saw Him go — coming down to us out of the clouds. We will be watching. We will know it’s Him, because we are children of the day, not the night.

“So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be clearheaded. Night is the time when people sleep and drinkers get drunk. But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation. For God chose to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us” (5:6-9). Amen.

Our study in the Book of Acts is a wake-up call for all of us — a good one. Wake up everyone, because it’s not night. We are children of the day. We are bearers of good news. Christ is risen! He has forgiven our sins! He is coming back for us! And like the early followers of Jesus used to say, “Christ is risen, indeed!”

Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever. So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing. (1 Thessalonians 5:10-11)

This entry was posted in Transformation Generation and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Children of the day

1. Marya says:

The movie A thief in the Night is on Amazon prime if you are member you can watch it there

2. Kimm says:

I think that’s the movie I saw when I was a kid, unless there is another horrible movie like that out there. I remember seeing a motorcycle accident in it and the driver’s head rolling around in his helmet. Who shows these things to kids?! I had so much fear as a kid after that movie. We were taught that if you got “caught” not having confessed some sin that you would get left behind. I remember having panic attacks if I didn’t know where my mom was or couldn’t get in touch with her. I was sure she wouldn’t get left behind! Anyway, I think it’s important to think of Christ’s return, but unfortunately a lot of people are simply looking/hoping because they are just so sick of this life here and now that they miss most of it. I remember someone telling me once that it was a Christians answer to suicide. Just hold on long enough and maybe He will come back and take you away from it all. I can relate to that and have went through a long period like that. I missed a lot of life, learning, and loving just praying for Him to come back. Just one last thought. In terms of how things are going now I see all the tragedy, but I can’t recall ever thinking/hearing about peace. The main difference I see now is along with all the tragedy(which has certainly happened before) we now have President Twitter running the country. If that’s not a sign of end times, I don’t know what is! 😉

How do we make sure we are watching for Him as children of the Light? By living our lives. By being involved in our communities. By not pulling our kids out of the ‘worldly’ public school system to protect them (and ourselves) from having to associate with those sinners. By being active in those schools; by getting to personally know teachers, coaches, administrators.By attending school activities and games – even after our kids have graduated.By welcoming our kids’ friends…and our neighbors into our home. not to preach at them; just to show we care about them. By being involved in the government process, starting in our home town. The percentage of people who don’t vote is horrendous…how many of those non-voters are believers?…it’s been said we get the government leaders we deserve. By voting wisely and not being caught up in the Christian / non-Christian quagmire. When I was a young, naive believer I was part of those responsible for electing one of the worst presidents ever! By seeking out our veterans, law enforcement, fire and emergency personnel whenever we can, and thanking them for putting themselves on the line for us. Heck, by saying thank-you whenever we can, no matter how small the service done for us is. By having integrity in every aspect of our lives; thereby bringing light to dark places. By acknowledging our sin when we fall and letting the world see how God picks you back up, sometimes using those sinners we try to keep away from. The world is a scary place; but there is beauty there – it’s our responsibility to find it and nurture it – wherever we find it and whomever we find it in. Like Peter, we have to dare get out of the boat…trust me, if we don’t, God will surely tip it over! And…pray without ceasing!

I enjoyed listening last night to the Blog Talk, it was great!

5. Sue says:

So I keep thinking Christ’s return is after the rapture, right? So I will already be in Heaven when Christ returns to earth – correct?

Sue – The Rapture is when Christ orders the trumpets sounded, and He calls us to meet Him in the air – first those who have died believing in Christ will be resurrected – followed by those believers who are still alive at that moment. It will happen in a flash;,the blink of an eye. As I am a pre-Tribulation believer – yes I believe we will be in heaven before Christ’s physical return to earth, and that we will accompany Him then as He ends the Tribulation period, judges the False Prophet, the Anti-Christ and Satan. For those without Christ, when the Rapture occurs it will seem as though ‘a thief in the night’ has stolen us away.Listen to Petra’s song Graverobber. One of my favorites.